Here’s what we know about the next iteration of the iPhone. As always, lots of grains of salt all over this post – Mysterious Apple flavored grains of salt.
1. This will be the 11th release of an iPhone, but the 10 year anniversary of the original iPhone.
2. It’s predicted that Apple will be releasing 3 new iPhones. Two will be the iPhone 7S and the iPhone 7S Plus, and the third will be either the iPhone Edition, or the iPhone 8. We’re voting iPhone Edition.
3.The iPhone will probably be announced in September, and released 2-3 weeks later. There is a small possibility that Apple will announce the iPhone Edition/8 at WWDC in June, but this is pretty unlikely. There are also predictions that the ‘special’ iPhone will be released much closer to Christmas.
4.The iPhone Edition will have an edge to edge 5.8″ OLED screen, Faster A11 processor, and glass body. There will likely be no home button and yay for getting rid of wires because it’s said to have wireless charging. Sweet.
5. There have been rumors that the Touch ID will be integrated into the display, which is likely, however there have also been rumors that it will be on the back, about where the Apple logo is currently.
6.The iPhone 7S and iPhone 7S Plus will both be upgraded from the iPhone 7, but much more along the lines of the incremental hardware upgrades that we’ve seen in the last couple of years, combined with the fresh new software goodness of iOS 11 (which will be announced for sure at WWDC).
7. All three iPhones will be water resistant, the same as the iPhone 7, but their resistance level will be improved.
8. The front facing camera may include 3D sensing capabilities perhaps enabling facial and iris recognition. Rumors also suggest that Apple is exploring both a vertical rear camera for improved pictures and a dual-camera setup for the front-facing FaceTime camera.
9. The iPhone 8/Edition will be a little more expensive, possibly coming in at just under $1000 clams.
10. Supply will probably be pretty constrained at first, because, you know, it’s Apple n stuff. Also, OLED production might be a little harder to come by.
Are you excited about the new iPhones? Do you think there’ll be any surprises? C’moooooooon time travel?